Monday, November 6, 2017

The 5 P's: PROPER PLANNING PREVENTS POOR PERFORMANCE

Food is the fuel God created to propel our bodies. Most of the food I crave and is the most easily accessible is the type of food that hurts the body's performance and crushes its potential. That's where wise planning, simple preparation, and blue collar discipline become my best friends.

I get 1 cheat day per week (usually Sunday for me). I eat 5-6 quick smaller meals throughout the day. That means I need to plan out and prepare for 30-36 meals and then execute the plan. (I also give myself 1 floater cheat meal throughout the week if I "need" it or if I'm at a restaurant and can't completely avoid all the junk).

I try to eat organic as much as possible and most of my meat proteins come from fish, turkey, and chicken. Honestly, I hate the taste of vegetables, but I strive to eat 2 servings per day in addition to fruits. 6 days per week I only drink water (I'd rather drink Mountain Dew!).

I try to avoid 3 things each day (except my cheat day): bad fats, fried foods, and sugar which are the very things I actually crave most of the time (that's why discipline is my welcome companion throughout the week). It's just like avoiding any other temptation or sin. You realize that it tastes good in the moment, but robs and destroys your future. To be successful you can't allow the pleasures of the moment to destroy the tomorrow's of your life. Tomorrow will literally reward you for the discipline of today.

So it took me less than 15 minutes to create my WEEKLY MEAL PLAN. It's simply and easy to accomplish. Here it is:

MEAL PLAN (30-36 meals per week)
DAILY MEAL STRATEGY (MON - SAT):
  - Protein Drink (quick meal right after workout)
  - Shakeology for breakfast (this isn't a sells pitch!)
  - PREPARED MEAL w/ veggies (lunch at work)
  - Snack (something like cereal with blueberries... this is during my workday)
  - Dinner w/ veggies (something I make each night ~6.30p)
  - Final quick snack like a protein bar or whole grain bread with peanut butter (~9.00p)

With my meal plan I try to eat 1 part lean protein and 1 part good carbs with each meal. I add veggies with 2 of the meals throughout the day. 4 of my meals/snacks take less than 15 minutes to make and consume for each one. My other 2 meals are enjoyed in about 30-45 minutes each. So it doesn't take a lot of time throughout the day.

I love this approach and my body and my conscience thanks me everyday! And since our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, God affirms my actions each day with a small inner whisper that says, "Well done!". No amount of junk food compares with that.

So my meals and plan are prepared for the week. Now it's time to crush it! Have a great week friends =)

STRiVE to THRiVE!