Friday, August 11, 2023

OPERATION INSULATION! ...INSULATING THE "GREEN MONSTER" OVER THE NEXT 2 WEEKS!

 
It has taken 3.5 years, but we are finally insulting the GTD Storage Container (shipping container)!! This has become our #1 top work project priority. We needed to do this several years ago, but had to put it on the back burner with all the family health challenges. The inside temperature of this metal container goes well over 125 degrees in the summer heat so up until earlier this year I only stored items in it that were not affected by high temps. When my Dad moved over in the winter I needed to move $20k of our top quality backpacking gear from inside my house into the "Green Monster" (that's the nickname I gave it 20 years ago because all the sides are green and I love baseball). The only way I could allow myself to do this is on the condition that I had to insulate it before summer. Unfortunately we ran out of time and I couldn't get it done before our summer trips started. I can't tell you how sick to my stomach it has made me knowing that all of our great expensive gear has been just sitting inside baking like an oven for the past 3 months. I'm just praying that the there is no damage. This weekend we have a fantastic group of big hearted volunteers coming over to help us clad the outside of the Green Monster with exterior insulation. We had Home Depot deliver all the materials yesterday and Carson and I have been doing 3 days of prep work so the volunteers can hit the ground running when they arrive tomorrow morning. We have attacked all the surface rust with rust remover and rust inhibitors... and applied Henry's Tropi-cool 100% Silicone White Roof Coating to the roof which is designed to reflect about 90% of the sun's heat & UV rays.
 
As the old saying goes, better late than never! I hope that's actually true in this case!! One of my main responsibilities is maintaining and preserving all of our gear and equipment... trying to be a good steward of what has been entrusted to us, especially as a non-profit. I'll post updates along the way. If you want to work outside in record high temps with no shade then this is a great project to volunteer for haha! Let me know if you want to help finish whatever we don't complete tomorrow... we will be working on it over the next 2 weeks (as well as running events).
 
A HUGE THANK YOU TO THE WILDER'S who allowed us to use the Green Monster for FREE for many years on their business property... THEN DONATED THE GREEN MONSTER TO GTD ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO!! This thing has been a huge blessing to me & GTD and made managing our "non-climate impacted" equipment soooooo easy & convenient!! Now we are going to make it the ultimate 320 square feet year-round climate controlled storage unit!! Lord willing :)