Monday, June 6, 2016

The Secret of Living The Christian Life

Been reading through the minor prophets of the Bible over the past 2 months. Great stuff! So relevant 2500+ years later! In fact, the "secret" to living the Christian life is hidden in plain view in Zechariah 4:6, "Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit," says the Lord Almighty. Trying to live out the Christian life in our own power is like pushing our car from point A to point B instead of using the engine to power it. Just like automobiles we were designed to function with an engine... by "horsepower" not "manpower". Unless we have that paradigm shift away from "my energy" and over to "His energy" then the Christian journey will be as exhausting as pushing your car to work. Christians often say that God will not give us more than we can handle. Although it is well intended to comfort those facing immense trials, it isn't Biblically accurate and it shifts the focus away from God and onto our own feeble strength. The paradigm shift that has to take place is that God will always give us more than we can handle. And that's the point. That's why it's not by might nor by power, but by His Spirit. If I could "handle it" then I never realize my need for God and I never reveal a greater power source other than myself. BUT if I fuel up on God's Word and turn the ignition key that revs the engine of the Holy Spirit then I will "walk and not faint, run and not grow weary" while revealing the power of God to those who are watching.