Friday, January 3, 2014

Listo? Ready? If God Says So, I Am! (Laurie)

As I lay in bed thinking about the amazing day I had here in Costa Rica today visiting with and meeting up with friends to prepare for GTD's next mission team, I found myself looking through old blog posts and came across this...I wrote it two years ago when I became the Mission Director for GTD (Going The Distance Adventure Ministry).  It was a big step for me, but one I am glad I took!

Listo (Ready)? Vamos (Let's Go)! And so the journey has begun! 
Its official, I am spending the next 2 and 1/2 months in Costa Rica as a full time missionary and I can hardly believe it!  A long time ago the word missionary use to be like a forgein word to me and a calling that was set aside for someone very different than me! After all my journey with the Lord started late in life, and even after I still took a few wrong turns along the way and strayed from God's plan for my life. So, how is it that nowI'm a full time missionary in Costa Rica for the next couple of months? Did I suddenly become perfect? No! In 
fact I still fall short at times, but this time I'm allowing God to guide my way, and it is here where he has planted me for a bit, so I am ready to trust Him every bit of the way. 


Do I feel equipped? Not completely, but I know God will equip me. 
Do I feel like I'm suddenly more special than someone else for the position? 
No, in fact I often think I would be the last choice for the position. 
I'm quiet, shy, I often stumble over my words, my brain often feels way to jumbled to collect a thought, I'm bad with time management, I can't quote the bible word for word, I've never been to Seminary, I'm soft spoken, I don't know Spanish all to well, I am easily distracted and sometimes very forgetful. 


But,I love Jesus and I know that God looks for open and willing vessels to carry out His will and I'm trying to be that to Him and walk in obedience where he calls me, even if I can't see how he can use me with all these imperfections. I just know I have to have faith that He can do it in me and through me, and remember that God is more powerful than my weaknesses and imperfections.

"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corn 12:9-10

Truly I am excited for this journey and I hope you will follow along with me and at times leave me a note of encouragement to spur me on and lift me up in prayer. 
Gracias, Pura Vida!