Monday, November 4, 2019

"WAIT"EVER IT TAKES! .... REST FROM THE QUEST!

I enjoyed taking the day off yesterday. A couple of years ago I recommitted myself to God's Old Testiment instructions to "Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy" (also known as "a day of rest" that God set as an example after 6 days of creating the world). One of my favorite definitions of the word "Sabbath" is: "to cease from striving". So, basically, the idea is to take a day off each week from the work that you're striving after the other 5 or 6 days of the week. It's not rocket science, but it has the profound impact of rocket science. If you're like me and you love to work & strive then you relate to the challenge it is to stop your momentum and pause your progress. For us, waiting or ceasing from striving or relaxing for a day is actually an act of faith. When we refrain from our work and press pause for the day (while internally everything inside you wants to keep plugging away) this is actually an act of faith. We are literally saying to God, "I trust You. I believe You." "I know that you know more than I do, and even though I think I'll be more productive if I don't take a day off, I believe that You created me for more than work and I believe that I'll actually be more productive & effective the rest of the week if I simply obey You and cease from striving for the entire day." For strivers, that day can feel very awkward as we literally wait (and eagerly desire) for the next day to arrive. But, wow, have I ever fallen in love with the Sabbath! It has blessed my life in countless ways over the past 2 years. I love the challenge of ceasing for the day. Moreover, I love the blessings and benefits I experience from a day of rest. And I love being able to express my faith and trust to my Lord by just stopping... by just patiently waiting. I love the mantra, "Whatever It Takes!"... but I'm often reminded that the greater act of faith many times is pressing pause and simply waiting on the Lord. In those times the mantra becomes, "WAIT-ever It Takes!" /// Breaks over. Back to work!


.