Wednesday, July 3, 2013

AN ANSWER TO PRAYER =)

This morning I was praying and asking God to send more volunteers into our ministry. In 2009, during The Great Recession, we had to let our staff go because of financial constraints. During that same time frame we lost all of our volunteers (around 20 wonderful people) due to various life changes (newborns, newly married, moving away, job losses, financial losses, etc). Since that time it has been primarily Laurie and I working to carry the same load that 25 people used to help with. It has been relentlessly daunting and overwhelming to say the least. That's not a complaint, because I love what I do. It's just a glimpse into one of greatest challenges we've faced in 17 years of ministry. But God's Word says, "You do not have because you do not ask God." (James 4:2) and “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.” (Matt 9:37-38). God was reminding me this morning of how many times I've seen the need for more helpers, but forget to convert that need into a prayer request for God to meet. Instead, all too often, I've seen that need and converted it into a "to-do list". Because of this I've experienced two adverse consequences: I've unwittingly added more work to my to-do list and I've failed to experience God's supernatural intervention through answered prayer. So this morning God was reminding me, "Smarter not harder Doug. Don't try to do my job. You can't do what only I can do. I hold the king's heart in my hand. I hold all men's heart in my hand. And like a river I turn it wherever I please. At best you may grab someone's attention through an advertisement, but only I can grab their heart." So I began to ask God to send more workers into the GTD Harvest Field. I began to thank Him in faith for answering my prayers. About an hour later my mom & awesome 11 year old nephew Carson stopped by the office. Carson said, "I have something to ask you. Can I work for you & your ministry? I have a bunch of ideas I want to tell you about." I said, "Carson, absolutely!! I just asked God to send us more workers. You are an answer to prayer." Isn't God incredible! That really blessed me today. I can't wait to see what lies ahead. God has an amazing history of working through children and youth to accomplish His will - David, Samuel, Jesus, and so many more. =)


---